How ridiculous have the Angels have been this year?
Almost as ridiculous as ESPN “experts” Jayson Stark and Buster Olney’s preseason predictions for the AL West (not that the Mariners won’t overcome their 25-game deficit to steal the pennant).
- The Angels not only have a 25-game cushion on preseason favorite Seattle, they have 10.5 games on second-place Texas.
- At 63-39 overall, they have the best winning percentage in baseball (.618).
- They’re 31-21 at home (did I mention the AL has home-field in the Series?) and even better on the road at 32-18.
- Closer Francisco Rodriguez has 43 saves and is on pace to shatter Bobby Thigpen’s 18-year-old saves record by 10.
- Starters Ervin Santana (11-4, 3.37) and Joe Saunders (13-5, 3.10) are winning 73 percent of their decisions.
- And the Angels offense is hitting again, scoring 45 runs in its first seven games after the All-Star Game.
- In fact, the injury bug might be the Angels’ only nemesis this season. According to the Times, John Lackey is battling a “dead arm,” Mike Napoli is on the DL with a sore shoulder, and my boy Jered Weaver has a knot in his throwing shoulder.